Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Book from Mom

Today, Dad and Mom stopped by to pick me up for a dentist appointment. One of our cars is broken, and I needed a ride. It was nice to spend some time with them this afternoon in the car.

On the way home, Mom reached down by her foot to hand me a book. The last time my mother handed me a book like that was when I was ten. That book was about all the "wonders" and changes my body was going to undergo; it was one of the scariest books I have ever read. I was shocked to learn that the book on becoming a woman wasn't a work of fiction.

Now with that nugget of information, you can just imagine the fear that gripped my heart as mom handed me the book today! My imagination went wild. What secret of middle age was she going to disclose? Am I about to learn something that will flip my world? I started sweating!

The title of the book is Changing Places: A Christian's Guide to Caring for Aging Parents. Mom started speaking, telling me that she had bought the book when Grandma was living on her own after PawPaw died in 1990. Mom always thought she would care for Grandma as Grandma aged. With recent events in the family, Mom and Uncle Dick were both robbed of the opportunity to care for Grandma. With Nanny and Pawpaw, and Grandma and Pawpaw all now deceased, Mom thinks she no longer needs the book but passed it along to me.

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I know Mom's giving me this book is one of her loving ways of saying that she really cares about me and wants things to be easy for me as I look after their estate when they die. I really appreciate her for that. However, this book is also a tangible reminder that we are all but dust.

My parents are a real gift to me. I treasure every minute we spend together, and I am thankful for their love and support. Lord willing, I will have many, many wonderful years with them.

Living and Learning,
Beth

No comments: