Thursday, October 4, 2007

You May Know I am Early for My Period, But I Know When You Have to Pee

Mary and I are good friends. She is just a fun gal to hang with. We both have children approximately the same age who all play well together. We have similar interests and both love the Lord. Our husbands get along well, and both families pursue similar passions.



Because of this closeness, Mary knows alot about me, and I know alot about her. A couple of weeks ago, I wasn't feeling too well. I couldn't figure out what was going on until my period started the next day. I told Mary, and her response was, "Hey, you are early!" Didn't I say we know each other well?



This week, we had an occasion to celebrate. We met up in the middle of the day with all of our kids and went to the dollar theatre. Pirates of the Caribbean 3 was showing, and our scallywags were anxious to see the movie, popcorn and all.

The movie complex was empty save one, maybe two other patrons. Nonetheless, we stood in front of the popcorn counter to get popcorn and drinks for the shipmates. I made eye-contact with the gentleman and inquired about prices. Our conversation went something like this.

Beth: So it is $10.50 for two drinks and a large bag of popcorn?

Gentleman Behind the Counter (GBC): Yes, but I think we have coupons for free coke from Papa John's pizza to go with that. Let me look in this drawer.... (groans)

Beth: Are you OK?

GBC: Yes, well no. I don't feel so well. (rubbing tummy)

Beth: I'm sorry. What's wrong?

GBC: Well, I had a stomach virus yesterday, but I don't think I'm over it. What can I get you?

Beth: (noticing his greenish skin tone and not much liking the fact he would have his hands near my popcorn and on my soda lid....I turn to Mary and say...) I'm sorry Mary, I think I have to pee. Don't you have to go to?

Mary: (staring, still in shock over man with virus working the food at the movies, nods and says..) Yeah, me, too.

Mary and I rounded up the kids, who were wondering about their popcorn, and had them wait outside the restroom while we ducked inside. We both busted out laughing as the restroom door closed. We laughed and laughed until we nearly cried. Finally, we gathered ourselves together and marched out to our waiting children.

Once seated in the theatre, my youngest asked for a booster seat. She doesn't really need one, but she asked so nicely and does enjoy sitting in one. I went to retrieve the booster seat. I could see the popcorn counter from the place they keep the boosters. I glanced over, chuckling at what had happened minutes earlier at the counter. Just as I looked over, I saw GBC sneeze standing beside the open popcorn popper without covering his mouth. YUCK! I think we made the right call about the popcorn!

So while Mary may know when I am due for my period, I know when she needs to pee!

Living and Learning,

Beth

No comments: