Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Phone Call from Across the World

I was telling my friend about a recent phone call from my parents. She thought it was worthy of a post to the blog, and so here it is.

Recently, my parents took off on a 5 week trip to New Zealand. They were both excited and apprehensive about the trip. They worked long and hard when they were in the work force and were raising 4 children in the 1960s - 1980s. The late 70's were especially hard. (Sounds like another blog there!) Anyhow, my parents took off on this trip.....

I first heard from them the day they landed in New Zealand. Mom was excited about the phone card she was able to buy to call us. She was taken aback by the extreme friendliness of the people in New Zealand. The shop owner offered his phone for Mom to call the USA. Even when Charlie and I were there nearly 15 years ago, they were a friendly lot. Hands down, the Kiwis are still the friendliest people on earth.

The second phone call came almost a week ago and the conversation went something like this:

Mom: We are between Auckland and Hamilton and thought we would call to tell you we are ok.
Beth: That's great, Mom. What are you OK from?
Mom: Well, we thought you might have seen something on the news about a really bad hail storm in Auckland. It really wasn't too bad, and we are OK.
Beth: I'm glad. Are you having a good time?
Mom: .....And then there was the earthquake. I'm sure you heard about that on the news.
Beth: No, I missed that one. Are you OK?
Mom: Yes, we are fine. It wasn't near us.
Beth: That's wonderful. How's Dad?
Mom:....Neither was the volcano.
Beth: What?
Mom: You see, there is a volcano erupting down here.
Beth: Are you OK?
Mom: It isn't a very big volcano, so don't worry.
Beth: I'll try not to worry. Are you both OK?
Mom: We're fine. I just didn't want you to worry. Gotta go. Love you.
Beth: Love you too, Mom. Take care of each other.
Mom: See you soon.

Living and Learning,
Beth

1 comment:

Beth said...

Postscript: I have since heard again from my parents. They are having a lovely time. Last phone call found them having breakfast after a night "freezing their rears off" watching penguins. I am so happy they are having a good time!