Thursday, December 27, 2007

Year In Review: Family 2007

One year consists of only 365 days. Here it is in the waning days of December 2007, and I am reflecting on the last year. How has the events of this year changed me?



My Parents - This year I saw how fragile life is. My father underwent a serious and unexpected surgery. There were unforeseen complications, but he survived and is a stronger, healthier man. In those moments of uncertainty and waiting, my Mother was right at his side, ever faithful to Daddy. There were sweet, sweet moments between the two of them as Daddy recovered. I have since not only cherished every minute I can spend with them, but also have more keenly focused on my own love, Charlie.

Aunt Barbara - We all love Aunt Barbara. The children called her "The Spoiler" because she treats them to different things all the time. She is a bundle of energy. She has loads of friends all over the eastern USA. She treats her friends well. She is thoughtful and concerned about them, and they, likewise, care about her. Over the last couple of years I have become better selecting my friends. I have friends that want to pursue a friendship with me, and I want to pursue a friendship with them. It isn't one-sided or draining on either part. Sure, when one of them is in crisis, the rest of us lift them up in prayer and serve them in practical ways. When my father was hospitalized, four of my dear friends stepped up to the plate. Two of the friends sat with me in the hospital until Daddy was out of surgery. One of my dear friends took my children to the nearby wildlife sanctuary for a day out to relieve the stress on the day of surgery. Another friend didn't ask if she could bring a meal, she just called and said she was bringing dinner to my family the day of surgery. Amazing friends! Gifts of the Lord!

Charlie's Sister, Susan - Susan's husband is shipping out overseas. He is going to serve his country. He is leaving behind Susan and their four boys. Susan takes things one at a time. I think that's what I get from Susan. She doesn't think about what might happen or what could happen, she just lives through the moment, dealing with the issues of the day. One thing at a time....first steps first....What an amazing philosophy try to follow!

The Children - All of them are changing and growing so fast. Time is slipping by. I learn patience with others from my children. They are wonderfully patient and generous with me. They extend grace when I make mistakes, and they are quick to forgive Charlie and me and one another. I certainly learn from them.

Living and Learning,
Beth

No comments: