Saturday, September 8, 2007

Fall Fun

This week I was looking out the front glass door and saw the first yellow leaf fall from one of our great oak trees in the front yard. With the very beginnings of the leaves changing and the nights getting cooler, I am positive that fall is upon us.



There are several great things about fall:


  • Weekend picnics at the park in jeans and sweaters

  • FOOTBALL

  • Apple and pumpkin picking

  • FOOTBALL

  • Camping

  • FOOTBALL

  • Cool fall rains

  • FOOTBALL

Did I mention it is football season? I love football. There isn't a better sport on the planet. (OK, hockey comes close!) I have been a Redskins fan for many years. I have also learned to like the Patriots. On the college level, I like to watch Virginia Tech because my husband so enjoys the games (when VA Tech is winning!). I also like to watch many of the teams that used to make up the Big East - Boston College, Pitt, Penn State, WVU, etc.

Football is a social sport, and that is one of the reasons I like it. You can easily watch the game, chat or grab a quick snack, and be ready to see the next play. There is no lack of topics: fumbles, "Hail Mary" passes, trick plays, sleeping defenses, aggressive offenseses, happy fans, etc.

I like watching football at home, but I like it so much more at the field. I am trying to get back to see a St Albans High School football game this fall. The mighty Red Dragons have a sorry team this year, but again, it isn't so much the game as the atmosphere. The ballfield is on the river, and as the sun sets, the dampness of the river invades the field. It gets cool quickly, and you have to bring a blanket to keep the chill off.

Although I haven't been to a Red Dragon football game since the fall of 1986, I figure we will see lots of people we know at the game. It will be fun to catch up with friends I haven't seen in years. I look forward to being back out in the stands at Crawford Field watching the mighty Red Dragons take the field. "Hurrah for Dragons. Hurrah for Dragons. Someone in the crowd's yelling Hurrah for Dragons....."

Living and Learning,

Beth


No comments: